Sunday, May 2, 2010

Haute Summer Travel Hair!

So you’re thinking about summer vacation, but not sure you’re ready for the heat and humidity that makes your hair frizz? The keratin treatment also known by many as the Brazilian Keratin Treatment, designed to relax your natural curl and make your hair more manageable, could be the answer for you.

I visited Elizabeth Arden’s Red Door Spa in Chicago where hair stylist Charles Campbell counseled me on the pros and cons of the treatment. After determining that my hair was chemical-free, he agreed the Coppola Keratin Treatment was safe to tame my unruly curls.

“If you’re considering the keratin treatment, you must consult a professional to get the facts before you move forward with the therapy,” advises Campbell. Although, many professionals agree the keratin treatment can be used over chemically treated hair, it’s all about the individual’s hair type.

There are many versions of the keratin treatment… Coppola and Global Keratin are two of the most popular. Both smooth and straighten hair by infusing natural keratin deep into the hair cuticle, eliminating up to 95% of frizz and curl, leaving the hair smooth, shiny and luxurious.

Once the treatment is applied to the hair, a flat iron heated to 430-450 degrees seals the keratin product. Once bonded to the hair, the keratin promotes healing and blocks the effects of humidity leaving the hair silky and straight.

Although keratin treatments in professional salons are relatively safe… many other types contain harmful chemicals like formaldehyde, a known carcinogen that’s not safe to inhale. Neither the Coppola nor Global Keratin Treatments contain harmful chemicals as stated by the brands. Still, others argue the chemical straightening process is not healthy for your hair and scalp. But so far it’s been three weeks and I have not experienced any problems.

The treatment lasts for about three to five months depending on the hair type and after-care maintenance. Once you get the treatment you cannot get the hair wet for 72 hours. You also have to abstain from pulling the hair back or clipping it for three days. Further, you can only use shampoo and conditioner that’s free of sodium chloride and sulfate or else you run the risk of washing the treatment out.

After two weeks, I tested my hair and spent the weekend in 80 degree heat at Walt Disney World in Florida. My hair held up and not a frizzy strand in sight! I love the fact that my hair is easier to manage when I wash and style it at home. My only issue, my hair is a little too straight so I have to curl it to add volume and bounce.

The Coppola Keratin Treatment starts at $350.00 (prices vary depending on length of hair) at Elizabeth Arden Spa in Chicago.

Haute Tip: Keratin Treatment after-care… I love The Global Keratin's Juvexin moisturizing shampoo and conditioner containing organic, bioactive keratin. It keeps my hair haute!

Will you try the keratin treatment this summer?
 
Haute Summer Travel Hair! @ Travel News Proudly Powered by Blogger